I’m a Senior Technical Consultant at Myriad Associates where I help UK companies identify and then maximise the public funding they can get for their Research and Development (R&D) activities through R&D Tax Credits and grant funding. I write technology reports that describe each company’s R&D, so that it’s easy for HMRC and grant assessors to recognise their eligibility.
Before joining Myriad Associates in January 2015 I worked in technical communication for over 20 years. I am a regular speaker at professional technical communication conferences in the UK, Europe, and the USA. As well as technical writing and editing in general, I am interested in content strategy, information design, and the management of technical communication, particularly in the context of agile software development. I am also very fond of surveys.
I’m a Fellow of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC), and I am currently the ISTC Council member responsible for Professional Development and Recognition, which covers all aspects of education and training. Previously I was Chair of the annual Technical Communication UK Conference (TCUK), which is hosted by the ISTC, for four years (Newcastle 2012, Bristol 2013, Brighton 2014, and Glasgow 2015). I was part-time Associate Lecturer on the distance-learning MA Professional Communication programme at Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) from 2005 to 2015 (sadly, this course is now closed).
From October 2009 to December 2012 I worked in the technical communications team at Medidata Solutions Inc., a developer of specialist software systems to support clinical research in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors. From January 2013 to December 2014 I was the sole technical author at Teledyne TSS, a manufacturer of marine navigation instruments.
Comments on my presentation on technical editing at TCUK 2012:
- Well presented, clearly presented, relevant content, right length for time available.
- Good insight into tech editing. Tallies with my experience. Thanks!
- Thanks David. You may just have helped me finally redefine my job! ☺
- Very Good. Lots of practical information and advice. Thank you David!
- Excellent presentation. Well presented, nice content. More like that please. Thank you David.
- Very good, succinct, useful.
- Good, clear, well-structured presentation with practical ideas to take away.
- David is a great, fluent, entertaining speaker. I learnt from his talk.
- Great stuff!
- V. Good presentation – interesting discussion – good slides.
- Thoughtful, usefully based on both published authority and professional experience.
Speaking at your event
If you’d like me to speak at your event you can contact me directly by email, david_AT_farbey_DOT_co_DOT_uk (you know what to do).
This is a personal web site and all the views and opinions expressed in the various pages and posts on this site are my own, and do not represent the views of my employer, or of any organisation I am associated with. Views and opinions expressed in comments on blog posts are those of their respective authors. If you choose to follow any course of action (or inaction) suggested on this web site you do so entirely at your own risk.
You are welcome to follow me on Twitter where my user name is @dfarb. I tweet about technical writing, content strategy, and information design, as well as human rights, freedom of speech, and various other bits of lefty and Green politics. You’ll also see the odd tweet about TV, films, comedy, food, bread-baking, and anything else that catches my attention. You have been warned.